Monday, March 3, 2014

Slice 3

Unity is a fun but at times annoying medium for making a game. It requires a large amount of downloads that usually take a long time. However, it is nice because it does a lot of scene setting up for you, which is very nice if all of the downloads have completed. Another annoying part of unity is that there are 3 possible languages to program it in, C#, Javascript, and Boo, which makes many of the sample projects inconsistent. Javascript is generally used when they are trying to sample webbased, C# is used when they are sampling computer based, and Boo is used when they are do XBox based. However, there are many exceptions to this rule, and it can be frustrating trying to find the equivelent code in some other language. I write all of mine in C# for consistency, but many write theirs in Javascript, which makes viewing thiers quite annoying. However, if I switched to Javascript, the tutorials on the Unity website would no longer be applicable to me, since they do theirs in C#. There are not many XBox programmers, so I haven't run into Boo scripts in examples, but it can't be long before I run into a Boo script within one of the examples.

2 comments:

  1. Wassup Theo?
    Well, I'm not really sure what you mean with the unity stuff, but cool post overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what all of the words mean in this post, but this sentence, "Javascript is generally used when they are trying to sample webbased, C# is used when they are sampling computer based, and Boo is used when they are do XBox based," actually makes sense, so nice work! I do like this post because it reminds me of my Papa, who is a computer programer.

    ReplyDelete